The Internal Control function will contribute to the improvement of the quality and compliance of Plan Cameroon operations and programs to the standards/procedures/policies of the organization.
- Identify and analyze the risks that may impede Plan International Cameroon from achieving its objectives concerning its partners and communities by providing appropriate measures to satisfactorily manage the different risks identified.
- Provide reasonable assurance on the functionality of procedures and policies in order to assure management of the protection, safeguard of assets and the accuracy and reliability of financial reporting as well as a detailed review of all elements of the financial statements assertions.
DlMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
Plan International Cameroon currently has an approximate budget of 22 million euros for activities in eight out of ten regions of the country. Management has to be permanently provided with updated and concise information on projects implementation and the risk of under/over consumption of the budget.
- With the increase in projects portfolio come the risk of fraud within a challenging environment which requires a rigorous internal control function.
- Exercise and oversee internal control over 5 Program Units with autonomous operations, Country Office with mega grants and with the responsibility to assure management of the adequacy of control in place as well as donors that Plan Cameroon can satisfactorily deliver on all agreement entered into.
- Assess the capacity and credibility of new partners as well as review the activities of existing partners since Plan Cameroon is presently working in partnership with many local NGOs all over the country.
- There is absolute need to assure management of the quality of sponsorship communications produced so as to continue maintenance of sponsors’ trust.
- To assure management of compliance to Plan’s policies and procedures in all its transactions and across all departments (Programs, grants, Human resources, Finance and Administration).
Develop Term of Reference (ToR) and work plans to enable the satisfactory execution of internal control assignments.
- Provide assurance to management of compliance to Plan policies and procedures by regularly reporting on assignments carried out.
- Drive the testing of internal control system in place for robustness, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Responsible for the review of partners (LNGOs) activities (deliverables, reporting) in relations to MoU/Funding Agreements signed with Plan on a quarterly basis.
- Conduct yearly inventory of Plan assets.
- Review of the procurement process to determine the level of risk and propose actions to mitigate them.
- Oversee the yearly verification of suppliers list before approval by management
- Undertake the review of fleet management to assure management of effective and efficient use of its vehicles for Plan business.
- Oversee the review of contracts, MoUs, funding agreements in conformity with approved procedures and laws.
- Contribute in the quarterly review of country budget through budget versus actual analysis.
- Responsible for the quarterly review of advances and their liquidation in advance reports.
- Drive the selection of external auditors by preparing term of reference, review the technical offer of bids.
- Responsible for the quarterly review of financial vouchers and journals.
- Perform quarterly review of bank reconciliations and financial reports in the country office and program units.
- Control of sponsorship communication- test of different types of communications.
- Review of National Organization Inquires to assure management that they are handled as per the sponsorship requirements.
- Physical verification of at least five (5) sponsored children per quarter in each Program Unit.
- Participate in departmental meetings to share experience and understand the workings of the department.
- Conduct training on Plan Cameroon policies and procedures to staff.
- Participate in all external audits commissioned by Plan or donors.
- Participate in Global Assurance audit.
- Drive the implementation of audit action lists for internal control assignments and external audits.
- Verify that projects and activities are in line with gender transformative standards defined by Plan International.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policy on Safeguarding young people and children are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree in auditing/ Accounting/finance/management/ ACCA or equivalent.
- At least 05 years working experience in internal control, auditing, finance/administration.
- Appropriate experience of Plan’s program approach and delivery will be an advantage.
- Excellent understanding of, and written and oral communication skills in, English and French.
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, web-based system.
- Distinctive Behaviour
- Self-motivated and able to work to tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Robust analytical skills and the ability to work with tact, sensitivity and diplomacy.
- Ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Demonstrates an innovative and creative approach to problem-solving, multiple commitments and the promotion of learning.
- Demonstrates an ability to understand and put into practice control standards and requirements.
- Motivates others through personal example.
- Intelligent, tenacious, logical, sensitive, analytical, calm, respectful, trustworthy and open-minded.
- Keep confidentiality, ensure co-operation within and support of the team.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial and administrative procedures should be current and accurate.
- Respects and protects the rights of children and is gender sensitive.
To apply for this job, kindly click on “Apply“. Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current of most recent supervisor
Location: YAOUNDE – CAMEROON
Closing date: 05th January 2021
Females candidates are highly encouraged to apply